The Grandy Family

The Grandy Family

About Me

My photo
Gordon & Tahmi have been married since October 23rd 1999. We have 3 children, Mason is 16, Mayla is 9, and Jarrett is 6.

Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Our trip to the U.P.

So, finally we went on a family trip. The last trip we made as a family was to Arizona when my little brother Phillip got married. Yeah, we camp a lot, but Mason doesn't usually go, cuz he hates camping. What is wrong with him!

Thursday night- I drove to Birch Run to meet up with Gordon, & ride with him for a delivery Friday morning. I hate getting into his truck because I feel like the other truckers are thinking that I'm a "lot lizard"- &/or Gordon is picking up a "lot lizard". Anyhoo, Gordon got a wild hair and decided we should go on a little vacation...

Saturday morning- Our usual sleep in day, we were up and running by 8:00am. We made it up to the Mackinaw bridge by noon, and had 3 hours to kill before we could check into our hotel. So, we went to some shops, and climbed a lighthouse that had 10 flights of stairs. I didn't know that when we decided to climb the stairs, and about half way up there, I was winded! I almost didn't make it! (what a whimp!) But we got up there, and took some pitcures. It was really neat. Then we went minature golfing, which the kids LOVED!! Mason beat Gordon 53-92. haha! We checked into our room, and immediately put our swimsuits on & headed to the pool & hot tub in the hotel. From our room we had a full view of the bridge. It was amazing! We also had a balcony off of our room, so we were out there most of the time feeding the seagulls (which is a big no no!). After swimming, we went to dinner at a place called "Driftwood" It was the best fish I have ever had! After dinner, we went back to the hotel, and Gordon & Mason passed out, so I took Mayla & Jarrett, (& a couple of beers) back to the pool.

Sunday morning- our checkout time was 11:00am, so after we loaded up, we went to Lake Michigan after breakfast. Thank god I took pictures as soon as we got there, cuz everyone was ready to go after about an hour. Who would have thought that an hour at the lake would provide SO MUCH SAND!! From there we went back across the bridge to Mackinaw City. We walked up and down a street lined with shops. Mostly t-shirt, popcorn, and fudge shops. I guess Mackinaw is knows for having good fudge. I'd have to agree! We bought a few things, and then headed home. We stopped at Ponderosa for dinner, and made it safetly home by 7:00pm.

Everyone had a great time, and it was great to see the kids interacting with each other, weither they were playing, or getting harassed by Mason. I'm also glad that it was just us. It made decisions a lot easier, although I wish we brought someone to take pitcures, cuz we still dont have any pitcures of all of us together. oh well.

In the next couple of weeks- Nothin really this weekend, but the weekend after is the adults only camping trip. That should be a really good time! Then the weekend after that is Mint Festival weekend, and the following weekend is Brian & Tammy's wedding where Gordon is best man, Mayla is the flower girl, and Jarrett is the ring rearer.
TTYL, Tahmi

2 comments:

Beckie said...

Wow! What a great weekend!
I can't believe someone else has gone to Mackinaw Island without me.
You suck! I guess I'll just have to make another trip up there. Darn! ;)

The Sauls Family said...

I knew I recognized that bridge! We saw an episode of "Dirty Jobs" where Mike Rowe had to help paint and do other maintenance on it.

On that same episode he went and worked with the horses on Mackinaw Island. It looked like a beautiful place. How far is it from where y'all live?